Housing benefit and council tax support self-employed income form

If you want to claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, fill in this form to tell us about any self-employment. Please be aware, if the company is a Limited Company and you are an employee, for example a director or secretary, you are employed and will need to provide pay slips or accounts showing directors wages. 

You need to fill in one of these forms for each business you are involved in. 

Please note

  • Private expenses can't be included as a business expense.
  • You can't include losses that have, or will be, replaced from insurance claims.
  • You can't include losses that are a result of expansion. 

Income from self-employment is usually calculated on an annual basis. You are expected to budget for any variation in your income for trading activities during the year. You will not need to report monthly or seasonal changes in your earnings which are expected as part of your normal trading activity.

We will contact you every year and request that you provide your up to date accounts to ensure your claim is up to date. You only need to report changes in your circumstances where there has been a significant change in the way your business operates, for example if you:

  • increase or reduce the hours your business trades for on a permanent basis 
  • lose or gain a new contract.